Hiring a General Contractor – Tips and Checklist
How to hire a general contractor for a project is one of the most stressful undertakings that home and business owners have to deal with any time they’re taking on a home renovation project.
Hiring a contractor isn’t supposed to be a stress-inducing undertaking. Establishment owners should feel a sense of calm and confidence when they choose a contractor to partner with on their projects.
Whether you’re looking for a general contractor checklist or tips for how to hire a contractor, continue reading or get in touch with Brown Building Contractors to speak with a reliable contracting service today.
How to Hire a General Contractor: 8 Tips
When it comes to general contractors hiring, here are eight tips to help the process go smoothly and as stress-free as possible.
- Get word of mouth recommendations from friends and family.
- Do a phone or zoom interview to see if prospective contractors are the right fit for you.
- Get estimates from multiple general contractors to see what price range you’re looking at.
- Sleuth out company websites to see what past clients have to say about their services.
- Create a payment schedule once you’ve selected your general contractor.
- Read through your contract carefully and make sure that everything that is important to you is put in writing.
- Don’t make your decision solely based on price, this is a faulty method that many establishment owners use for choosing their contractors. Take into account reviews, whether the contractor has completed similar projects, and more into your final decision.
- Hire a contractor that is good at communicating as this is essential for the success of projects.
What Services Does a General Contractor Provide?
While not every general contractor offers the same services, usually they will offer a variety of services which may include:
- Building renovation or remodel
- New construction services
- Painting, flooring, roofing, siding, woodworking, etc.
- Electrical & plumbing
It’s important to discuss the exact services that you’re looking for with prospective contractors to ensure that you partner with a contractor that provides the services you need.
Benefits of Hiring a General Contractor
Now that you’re familiar with the best tips for hiring a contractor, it’s time to explore the reasons why you should hire a contractor.
Four reasons for why you should hire a contractor for home renovations include:
- Contractors have a large network of other sub-contractors, which can prove helpful when it comes to getting the best deals for materials.
- Contractors possess insurance coverage ensuring that your projects are covered and that any damage or workplace accidents that could occur are dealt with.
- General contractors are efficient and are able to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- General contractors have ample experience orchestrating complex projects and ensuring that all loose ends are tied up before they depart.
Contact a Reliable General Contractor Firm Today
If you are committed to quality and integrity above all else, get in touch with Brown Building Contractor today. Our team of professional contractors is passionate about upholding the standard of our industry through providing premium, general contracting services.
Our company has been locally owned and operated in Washington for more than 25 years and during that time we’ve partnered with countless homeowners to bring their project dreams to life.
We look forward to working with you in improving your home or business space.