How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets
Home renovations are a fun way to spruce up your home. However, they take time and cost money. So, consider investing in tasks that won’t break the bank.
For example, kitchen cabinet painting can transform the appearance of your space affordably. So, the construction experts at Brown Building Contractors present the following guide on how to paint kitchen cabinets.
Need for Painting Kitchen Cabinets
There are several reasons that you should invest in kitchen cabinet painting, such as:
- Changing the color scheme of your kitchen
- Cleaning up accumulated dirt and grime
- Using color to make stains less noticeable
- Rejuvenating the appearance of your space
- Spending less on an easy home renovation
- Raising property value
Types of Paints that Can Be Used
When you paint kitchen wood cabinets, carefully choose the type of paint and brand that you wish to use. For example, using acrylic paint is the best way to paint cabinets because it is both durable and easy to clean. If you wonder, “how do you paint kitchen cabinets when the material is laminate instead of wood,” you have to apply a special bonding primer to ensure that the paint sticks.
When painting kitchen cabinets, choose between a semi-gloss or satin finish. Gloss is difficult to work with because it can show small fumbles that you committed while painting, while flat finishes are difficult to clean.
How to Paint your Kitchen Cabinets
Here are our tips on how to paint kitchen cabinets effectively:
- Step 1: Consider Cost and Time: Painting kitchen cabinets requires both a monetary and temporal investment to ensure beautiful results. Consider these factors before starting to paint.
- Step 2: Examine Your Cabinets: Make sure that your cabinets are smooth and unwarped, as these imperfections can show through after painting. Repair imperfections with wood filler or replace warped parts.
- Step 3: Prep the Space: Put throw cloths on your floor and cover your counters, backsplash, etc., so the paint doesn’t drip. Empty your cabinets and remove furniture and cabinet doors.
- Step 4: Remove the Doors and Hardware: Remove door knobs, hinges, etc., so they do not become stained.
- Step 5: Apply Liquid Sandpaper: To roughen the surface of your cabinets (allowing the paint to stick), apply liquid sandpaper and let it dry for 20 minutes.
- Step 6: Choose Your Paint and Application Tools: Use high-quality supplies to ensure durability and avoid mistakes.
- Step 7: Apply Primer and Paint: The best way to paint kitchen cabinets is to start by applying at least two coats of primer and two coats of paint. Allow the cabinets to dry between each layer.
- Step 8: Put It All Back Together: After your cabinets have fully dried, put your cabinet doors back on and clean up.
Average Cost to Paint Kitchen Cabinets
The average cost of painting kitchen cabinets is around $200. This cost can vary depending on the quality of paint you choose and what supplies you must buy.
If you want to embark on a home renovation project after learning how to paint kitchen cabinets, contact the professionals at Brown Building Contractors. Call our Lacey, WA, location at 360-515-3222 for professional renovation services today.